Is Benadryl a remedy for bee stings in dogs?

A bee sting is painful for us, let alone your beloved dog, so what can you do if your inquisitive pet dog makes the fatal decision to play with an angry bee, and is Benadryl a remedy for bee stings in dogs?

Bees are a common hazard of spending time in the great outdoors during the summer months. Bees and wasps are everywhere, so it is not uncommon to end up being stung when you find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time. And the same applies to dogs. They see a buzzing bee and curiosity soon gets the better of them. But unfortunately, the bee is less than enthused by the dog and reacts the only way it knows how: with an angry sting.

A bee sting can be extremely painful. Not only do they hurt a great deal, the site of the sting can often swell up to alarming proportions, and if your animal is unfortunate enough to suffer an allergic reaction to the bee sting, the situation can soon become much more serious.

Is Benadryl a remedy for bee stings in dogs?

Benadryl can be used as a remedy for bee stings in dogs, but your first course of action should be to remove the stinger if it is still present at the site of the sting. Always be careful when removing the stinger. If you are not, you will push even more venom into the wound and the result will be further pain and discomfort. Use your fingernail or a blunt object to scrape the stinger away from the flesh and if you have any ice or a cold compress handy, use this to sooth the area.

In most cases the dog will be fine despite looking and feeling rather miserable. The sting will hurt, but the majority of pets are soon bouncing around within a short space of time, although they will probably be a little more wary of their buzzing friends. However, in a few cases, the dog will develop a severe allergic reaction to the bee sting and will go into anaphylactic shock, thus requiring immediate veterinary attention.

What is anaphylactic shock?

Anaphylactic shock is basically an extremely severe allergic reaction. It is rare, but it can and does happen, to humans as well as dogs, and if the symptoms are not spotted very quickly, anaphylactic shock can be fatal.

What are the symptoms of anaphylactic shock?

A dog that develops anaphylactic shock as a result of a bee sting will very quickly have breathing difficulties. As the body temperature falls sharply, the dog will tremble and possibly vomit or have diarrhoea, and if left untreated, the dog will slide into a coma and could die.

Can Benadryl be given to a dog showing the symptoms of anaphylactic shock?

If the dog has been stung by a bee and is showing the early signs of anaphylactic shock, administering a dose of Benadryl will help to alleviate the severity of the symptoms. If the dog has lost consciousness, you should seek medical advice immediately or the outcome will not be a positive one.

2 Responses to “Is Benadryl a remedy for bee stings in dogs?”

Read below or add a comment...

  1. Ann Head says:

    I have Benadryl Allergy, only active ingredient is Diphenhydramine HCI25 mg. can this be safely given to our 18 lb miniature schnauzer, who was stung by a bee. Gave her an 81 mg Baeyer aspirin as was instructed a while back by a vet.

    Is this safe.

Leave A Comment...