Can a dog overdose on Benadryl?

Benadryl is a popular treatment for dogs that suffer from allergies and travel sickness. The drug was originally developed as an antihistamine for humans, but it was found to have several useful side effects and many people now use it to treat dogs for the same conditions humans suffer from. Generally speaking, Benadryl is considered to be extremely safe for canine use, but can a dog overdose on Benadryl and is it possible you can inadvertently give a dog too much?

Like any medication, it is possible to give too high a dose and unless you are careful, there is always a danger that you might accidentally administer an overdose of Benadryl to your dog.

What is the best way to work out the correct dose of Benadryl?

The correct dosage of Benadryl is linked to the body weight of the animal. The smaller the dog, the less Benadryl it will need, so if you are unsure of the approximate weight of the dog, make sure you weigh him or her prior to medicating with Benadryl. This can easily be accomplished by weighing yourself without the dog, and then stepping on to the scales WITH the dog, but if you own a dog the size of a Shetland pony, it might be an idea to take it along to the local veterinarian clinic for a weigh-in!

The typical recommended dose of Benadryl in dogs is one 25mg tablet per 25 pounds of body weight. A half tablet can be given to dogs weighing less than 25 pounds, but never exceed a dose of 50mg per larger dog. Benadryl is also available in a liquid form and one teaspoon can be given per 25 pounds of body weight. However, liquid Benadryl contains alcohol and is therefore not really suitable for canine use.

Leave A Comment...